ASCGWA 2023 SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY
Each year ASCGWA awards merit-based scholarships to high school graduating seniors, college students, and military spouses living in the National Capital Region.
In 2022 we distributed over $12,000 in scholarships to 6 worthy students.
Our 2023 scholarship application period will be open between January 30, 2023 - March 15, 2023.
Please select one of the applications below.
SCHOLARSHIP GENERAL INFORMATION & ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
Funds for the Army Spouses’ Club of the Greater Washington Area (ASCGWA) Scholarship are raised by the Army Spouses’ Club of the Greater Washington Area. The number and amounts of scholarships awarded each year vary based on the number of eligible applications received and the amount of scholarship funds available.
The scholarship is a limited eligibility scholarship. Only applicants who meet the eligibility requirements stated below will be considered for this scholarship.
The scholarship is a merit scholarship. Scholarship awards are based upon consideration of applicants’ academic achievement, community involvement and/or leadership potential. Financial need is not considered.
Scholarships are awarded in three categories: High School Senior, College Student and Member/Spouse. Applicants can be awarded only one scholarship each year. Applicants may receive a scholarship as a high school senior and later receive another scholarship as a college student.
Applicants who are awarded a scholarship as a college student or spouse cannot reapply for a scholarship in that category. Unsuccessful college student or spouse applicants may reapply for a scholarship in that category as long as they continue to meet the eligibility requirements for the scholarship.
Scholarship funds are restricted to payment of tuition, fees, and other required expenses in relation to educational processes.
Scholarship award determinations are made without regard to applicants’ race, color, sex, religion, or national origin.
To be eligible for the scholarship all the following criteria must be met by an applicant:
1. The applicant or the applicant’s parent or the applicant's spouse must be an active member of ASCGWA prior to November 30, 2022, before the application is submitted.
2. Applicants must be attending (if applying as a college student) or plan to attend an accredited post-secondary institution in a degree program for the 2023-2024 school year.
3. Both applicants (students currently attending college out of the area are exempt) and their sponsors must live in one of the following cities or counties located in the Greater Washington D. C. Metropolitan Area:
a. District of Columbia
b. In Maryland, Calvert, Charles, Frederick, Montgomery, or Prince George’s County
c. In Virginia, the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Fauquier, Loudoun, Stafford or Prince William or the Cities
of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas, or Manassas Park
4. High school senior and college applicant (up to age 22) must have a minimum 3.0 Grade Point Average in their current program.
5. Submit an essay of no more than two (2) double-spaced pages in response to the following question:
Recount a time when you faced a challenge, set-back, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience? Reflect on how your life as a member of the military community helped you through it!